The Oconomowoc area is no stranger to harsh weather, from thunderstorms and high winds to snow and hail storms. Inclement weather can cause significant damage to your roof, leading to leaks, water damage, mold, and structural decay. If your roof has recently been damaged in a storm, it is essential to get it fixed as soon as possible to minimize the amount of additional harm to your home or business.
The storm damage repair experts at RoofsOnly.com are here to fix your roof as quickly as possible. We have seen firsthand how seemingly minor storm damage can escalate and lead to massive headaches, and we want to help you avoid that scenario. As a family-owned and operated business, we pride ourselves on finding efficient and effective solutions for our customers. Furthermore, we have experience with roofs of all shapes and materials so that we can find a solution specifically tailored to your home and your needs.
Waiting too long to fix a damaged roof can have catastrophic and costly consequences, so you should speak to a roofing company as soon as possible. Contact our office today to receive a free initial estimate.
How Storms Can Damage Your Roof
Different types of storms or bad weather can damage your roof in different ways, such as:
- Rain – If rain gets under the protective shingles of your roof, it can damage the underlying support structures and seep into your walls and ceilings, leading to mold and additional structural decay.
- Wind – Heavy winds can rip shingles right off your roof and damage your gutters or downspouts, making it difficult for water to drain from your roof.
- Snow – Snow can be surprisingly heavy when it accumulates on your roof, putting pressure on your supports and potentially damaging them. Snow can also leak down into your roof as it melts.
- Ice – Ice dams can block water from draining off your roof, leading to leaks and other damage. The weight of an ice dam on your roof can also put pressure on the roof’s supports.
- Hail – Hail can wreak havoc on your roof as it damages and dents shingles. Hail can also strip the protective granules from your shingles, making leaks more likely. If these leaks spread, they can cause significant structural damage to your roof.
Signs of Roof Damage After a Storm
Sometimes roof damage from a storm is easy to spot, but it is difficult to see unless you know what to look for. Here are a few common signs of roof damage from a storm:
- Missing shingles – While a couple of missing shingles may not seem like a big deal, they need to be replaced quickly after a storm. Shingles are your roof’s primary protection against leaks, and even a few missing shingles can lead to water damage, mold, and structural decay.
- Damaged shingles – Having damaged shingles on your roof can be just as much of an issue as missing shingles. Cracks in your shingles can lead to leaks, while “bald spots” can form on shingles that have had their protective granules swept away in a storm, leading to draining problems. Hail can cause dents in shingles, making them less protective at preventing leaks. No matter what the specific type of damage is, damaged shingles need to be repaired or replaced immediately.
- Roof debris on the ground – If you notice shingles, shingle pieces, or other debris from your roof on the ground after a storm, it likely means something has been damaged and torn off your roof. If this happens, quick repairs are crucial to prevent additional damage to your roof.
- Standing water or damp areas in your attic – Water and moisture can wreak havoc on the structural supports in your roof and throughout your home. If you notice standing water or unusual moisture in your attic, you likely have a leak somewhere in your roof. Failing to repair this leak quickly can lead to structural day, mold, and other complications that are often expensive to fix.
Insurance Coverage for Storm Damage
It may be costly to fix depending on how much damage your roof sustained in a storm. However, most homeowners insurance policies cover storm damage, though the claims process can be cumbersome and time-consuming. We have a lot of experience working with insurance companies, and we can help you with your claim by:
- Conducting a thorough and rigorous inspection of your roof
- Filling out the necessary insurance paperwork for a claim and making sure it is filed correctly
- Meeting with the insurance adjuster during their inspection of your roof
- Providing the insurance company with an agreement outlining the repair services we intend to provide
- Helping you with your Statement of Loss when you submit your repair expenses to your insurance company
- Taking care of whatever repairs are necessary, including a complete roof replacement if it is warranted.
Does Your Roof Need to Be Repaired or Replaced?
A total roof replacement is an expensive and lengthy process, but there are some cases where it is necessary. If the damage to your roof is relatively minor and contained to a small area, it may be enough to repair the damaged materials without entirely overhauling the whole roof. Even in cases where the damage to your roof is minimal, though, you need to act quickly to prevent the damage from getting worse.
However, if the damage to your roof is widespread or has spread elsewhere in your home, it may be necessary to replace it entirely. A total roof replacement is more likely if you have developed significant leaks or the underlying support structures in your roof have started to decay. An experienced roof repair company can look at the damage to your roof and tell you more about whether a complete roof replacement is warranted.
Contact a Roof Storm Damage Repair Expert in Oconomowoc
Storms are common in the Oconomowoc, and waiting too long to fix a damaged roof can lead to expensive headaches you don’t want. Contact RoofsOnly.com today to speak with one of our experienced roof repair experts and get a free initial estimate.