Clay Roof Replacement in Austin
Some of the longest-lasting roofs are those built with clay tiles. The average clay roof has a lifespan of up to 70 years. Despite their high installation cost, their longevity makes them a worthy investment. Shingles, while cheaper, last only 20 to 25 years and are prone to various issues like storm damage and warping.
However, like all roofs, there comes a time when clay roofs must be replaced. If your old clay roof shows damage signs, you may wonder whether to repair or replace it. Use our roofing cost calculator tool for a rough cost estimate of a new roof.
The Austin roofing contractors at RoofsOnly.com can evaluate your roof’s condition and help you decide if replacement is cost-effective. Contact us today at (737) 275-7599 to schedule an appointment with one of our roofing experts.
Signs Your Clay Roof Needs to Be Replaced
If your clay roof is old and shows any of the following damage signs, consider replacing it.
- Cracked tiles – Clay tiles are strong and durable, and as a result, they are less vulnerable to storm and hail damage than other roofing materials. Clay tiles can crack, chip, or buckle under weight as they age, so tread on them carefully.
- Eave stains – Stains underneath the eaves of your roof can indicate that water is accumulating on the edge of your roof. This means your roof isn’t effectively diverting rainwater. If you see eave stains, get a professional roofer to inspect it.
- Moisture on the underlayment – The underlayment lies between the clay tiles and the roof deck. It offers your home a secondary layer of protection from water leaks, which can lead to mold in your attic. Moisture can pool on the underlayment if your clay roof tiles are not properly repelling water. If you notice water collecting on the underlayment or it has suffered significant wear and tear, your clay tiles may not be doing their job properly anymore.
If your roof is old and damaged, contact RoofsOnly.com to schedule a consultation. We will help you determine whether it’s time to replace your roof and provide you with an estimate.
The Difference Between Roof Repairs and Roof Replacement
If your clay tile roof is relatively new or has not yet reached the end of its natural life, and you notice damage in isolated sections of the roof, you might only need isolated repairs.
If your roof is old, severely damaged, and requires constant repairs, roof replacement could be cheaper in the long term. As we’ve noted, clay tile roofs are a big investment. But due to their reliability and longevity, it might be an investment you only have to make once.
If you’re unsure about repair or replacement, our Austin-based professionals at RoofsOnly.com can guide you. We provide both roof repair and roof replacement services.
Clay Roof Materials
Clay has been used as a roofing material for centuries because it can easily be sculpted into different, unique shapes. Here are some common clay roof tiles:
- Mission tiles – Mission-style clay tiles have a barrel design and are common in the Southwestern United States. Mission tile roofs alternate between convex tiles (covers) and concave tiles (panels).
- French tiles – French-style clay tiles feature two concave grooves per tile and are designed to interlock with other tiles easily. They are also a superior option for redirecting runoff from your roof.
- Spanish tiles – Spanish-style clay tiles closely resemble the barrel-shaped mission tiles. Rather than alternating between covers and panels, these tiles come in one S-shaped piece, which improves efficiency. As a result, Spanish tiles typically don’t require as much labor to install.
- Flat tiles – There are two ways to install flat tiles. Some flat tiles are designed with a lip and a groove, which are used to interlock the tile with other tiles. Flat tiles without lips and grooves can be installed by overlapping the tiles.
Our team at RoofsOnly.com of Austin is ready to suggest materials matching your budget and style. We use high-quality clay materials to ensure your roof’s durability.
Contact RoofsOnly.com in Austin Today
If you’re considering a clay tile roof replacement, schedule an appointment with our Austin-based team at RoofsOnly.com by calling (737) 275-7599. We’ll cater to your needs, goals, and assist in creating a satisfactory solution. Contact us today.