Posted on Thursday, April 20th, 2023 at 5:12 pm
If you own or occupy a property with a flat roof, you know how important it is to keep it in good condition. Flat roofs, which are common on commercial buildings, industrial facilities, and some residential homes, have little or no slope. This means they can’t shed water and debris as quickly as other, more sloped roofs. As a result, these roofs require special care and maintenance to prevent leaks, cracks, and other issues.
We’ll review some valuable tips and strategies to help you extend the life of your flat roof. Whether you’re installing a flat roof, maintaining what you’ve got, or repairing or replacing an existing flat roof, we’ve got you covered. Keep reading to learn more.
Understanding the Typical Lifespan of a Flat Roof
The lifespan of a flat roof can vary depending on numerous factors, such as the quality of the roofing materials, the design and installation process, and where the roof is located. A flat roof with high-quality installation and materials can last decades with proper maintenance.
Common types of flat roofs include:
- Built-up roofs – Built-up roofs (BURs), also called tar and gravel roofs, are made from layers of asphalt and fiberglass or felt and can last up to 25 years.
- Single-ply roofs – Single-ply roofs made of thermoplastic olefin (TPO), polyvinyl chloride (PVC), or ethylene propylene diene monomer (EPDM) can last over 30 years.
- Modified bitumen roofs – These flat roofs are made from asphalt and synthetic rubber and commonly last as long as 20 years.
Flat roofs are an excellent option for many properties, but the lifespan of a flat roof can diminish quickly if it is not correctly installed or maintained. Poor installation of a flat roof can result in leaks, sagging, or improper drainage, leading to costly damage.
The climate in which a flat roof is located can also affect its lifespan. Extreme temperatures, constant exposure to sunlight, leaks caused by heavy precipitation, and high winds can all contribute to wear and tear on a flat roof, causing it to deteriorate more quickly.
Maintaining and Extending the Life of Your Flat Roof
Fortunately, there are steps property owners can take to extend the lifespans of their flat roofs, such as:
- Choosing the right roofing materials – The type of roofing material you choose can lengthen or shorten the lifespan of your flat roof. When selecting your roofing materials, consider factors such as durability, weather resistance, and energy efficiency to find a good fit for your location.
- Making sure the roof is installed properly – Installing a flat roof correctly prevents many issues from arising in the first place. If you’re installing or replacing a flat roof, ensure the roofing contractor you work with is an experienced professional who uses high-quality materials.
- Conducting routine inspections and maintenance – Regular inspection and maintenance of a flat roof allow you to identify and address issues before they become more severe. This includes cleaning gutters, removing debris, repairing leaks, and ensuring proper drainage for your roof.
- Addressing known issues promptly – If you notice any signs of damage or deterioration in your roof, such as leaks or cracks, acting quickly is essential. Ignoring these types of issues can easily lead to more significant problems down the line and shorten the lifespan of your flat roof.
How the Roof Repair Experts at RoofsOnly.com Can Help You Maintain Your Flat Roof
RoofsOnly.com is a professional roofing company in Texas that specializes in repairing, maintaining, and installing all types of roofs, including flat roofs. Our team of experts can help you maintain your flat roof, ensure its longevity, and prevent costly repairs by:
- Performing regular inspections and maintenance of your flat roof to identify areas of concern
- Scheduling free, same-day roof inspections for immediate problems and emergencies
- Conducting necessary flat roof repairs to address issues we identify and prevent them from getting worse
- Providing expert advice and guidance on choosing suitable materials and installing your roof
- Using high-grade materials and equipment to ensure the highest standard of quality
- Providing outstanding customer service backed up by our 100% satisfaction guarantee
- Accepting affordable monthly payment plans, with 60-second approvals for up to $250,000
- Working efficiently and effectively to ensure your flat roof remains in excellent condition
Contact the Roofing Team at RoofsOnly.com Today